Painter Credit: Nicole Marie Castelluccio @nicolecmarie
The health benefits of beets are numerous and well-documented. Beets are a rich source of vitamins and minerals, including iron, magnesium, potassium, and fiber. They also contain powerful antioxidants that can help protect against heart disease and cancer. Additionally, beets have been shown to improve brain function and boost energy levels.
There are many different ways to incorporate beets into your diet. One of the simplest is to juice them or add them to smoothies. You can also roast them and add them to salads or side dishes. Whatever way you choose to eat them, be sure to take advantage of all the incredible health benefits that beets have to offer!
Some of the most impressive health benefits of beets include:
1. Boosting energy levels: Beets are rich in natural compounds that can help to increase energy levels. One of these is nitrates, which are converted into nitric oxide in the body. Nitric oxide is a molecule that helps to improve blood flow and oxygen delivery to the muscles. This can lead to increased energy levels and improved exercise performance (1).
2. Improving brain function: The high levels of nitrates in beets can also benefit brain function. Nitrates have been shown to increase blood flow to the brain, which can improve cognitive function and mental clarity (2).
3. Protecting heart health: The antioxidants in beets can help to reduce inflammation in the body, which can lower your risk of developing heart disease. Additionally, beets are a rich source of potassium, which can help to regulate blood pressure and prevent hypertension (3).
4. Reducing cancer risk: Beets contain high levels of antioxidants such as betalains and polyphenols, both of which have been shown to have anti-cancer properties. These compounds can neutralize free radicals in the body that can cause cellular damage, leading to an increased risk of cancer development (4).
5. Regulating digestion: The fiber content in beets helps move food through the digestive tract more quickly and easily. This promotes regularity and reduces bloating or gas after meals (5).
As you can see, beets are a fantastic food to include in your diet for an array of health benefits. In addition to juicing them or adding them to smoothies, try roasting them and adding them to salads or side dishes. You can also add beet puree to baked goods for added nutrients and flavor! With so many ways to enjoy this powerful superfood, there's no reason not to include beets in your regular diet.